If you’ve ever thought to yourself, “Why doesn’t life come with a handbook,” let me tell you – it DOES. And it’s called the Catholic Catechism, a thorough, rich, yet easy to read guidebook on how to conduct your life, all nestled nicely into the objective morality and truth that is the Catholic Church, or in other words, the Church that Christ Himself founded.
I started reading the Catechism as I began my journey out of atheism into Catholicism, and it made sense of and debunked the confusing and often ignorant “truths” about the Catholic Church that I knew. Plus, it gave a much more nuanced perspective on the faith, reasons for why things are the way they are, and convincing, Scripture-based evidence for these teachings. Nothing arbitrary here!
So each week, I release a new Catechism Fridays episode, and I’ve already worked through the 10 Commandments, which are much more interesting and intricate than these famous one-liners would seem at first glance.
I invite you to learn more about these quintessential rules passed down from Moses (what better place to start?) in order to better understand and defend your Catholic faith.
What Does the Catholic Church Say about the 10 Commandments?
- Introduction to Catechism Fridays
- Commandment #1: Thou shall have no other gods before the Lord.
- Commandment #2: Thou shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain.
- Commandment #3: Thou shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
- Commandment #4: Thou shall honor thy mother and thy father.
- Commandment #5: Thou shalt not kill.
- Commandment #6: Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Commandment #7: Thou shalt not steal.
- Commandment #8: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Commandment #9: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife.
- Commandment #10: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.
The Catholic Mama Podcast
If you enjoyed this episode, it would mean so very much if you subscribed to The Catholic Mama (remember: new Catechism Friday episodes come out each week, plus full-length episodes each Tuesday -> you don’t want to miss these!)…and please please sing it from the rooftops by leaving a review for The Catholic Mama Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
Come say hi on Instagram!